Technique : Oil
Born in Germany in 1930, H.E Kuckein has been living in Kelowna, British Columbia, since the 1950’s.
Self-taught, H.E. Kuckein has been painting since he was 12. His childhood memories are dominated by the visions and textures of fields and forests. Coupled with the influence of the abstractionists of the 1950’s, notably Nicholas De Stael, these early recollections formed the foundation for Kuckein’s paintings. After moving to Canada in 1950, Kuckein continued to paint while pursuing a successful career in architecture in Vancouver. His paintings are created with generous layers of oil paint, giving his work unusual depth and a luminous presence.He resists explaining his work, feeling that the paintings must speak for themselves.
- Magazin’ Art, biennial guide to Canadian artists in galleries, 2002-2003
- Magazin’ Art, autumn edition 2005, article pg.129 (French version) and pg.132 (English version)
- Peace Arch News, 04-1997
- Kelowna Courrier, newspaper, 10-1996
- British Columbia Cancer Centre, Kelowna
- Locations Empress, Montreal
- Merrill Lynch Canada, Toronto
- Walt Disney Studios, Los Angeles
- Royal Canadian Mint; and many other collectors, private and corporate, in Japan, Germany, Switzerland and Russia