Heiko Hellwig was born in Wuppertal, Germany, in 1960. Today, he lives and works in Stuttgart as a photographer and visual artist. He was given his first camera at the age of 8, and has been working full-time in the field, since 1981. For more than 30 years he has worked for large companies such as BMW, Bosch and Lufthansa, as well as for international magazines. From 1998 to 2001, he taught photography at the Haller Akademie der Künste in Schwäbisch Hall, Germany. Since then, he has devoted himself to his own artistic projects, which are mostly conceptual with socio-critical impulses. He is a professional member of the British Association of Photographers and the German equivalent, the German BFF.
Heiko Hellwig's work is inspired by everyday realities and contemporary social issues. He is interested in how humans react to these issues and how they impact society. He builds and deconstructs various architecture and maintains the principles of traditional photography, focusing mainly on light, which he has mastered to perfection. He always keeps in mind the etymology of the word “photography” which is derived from the Greek word, graphein: which refers to light, painting, drawing, and writing.
His works are exhibited worldwide and are represented in various private collections. Many of his photographs have received several awards, including his "Silicon Cities" series, which won the prestigious PX3 prize in Paris, in the fine arts category.
- 2013 - More and Sea Light (Mehr und Meer Licht), solo exhibition at Night of Images, Wagenhallen Stuttgart, GER
- 2010 - More and More Light (Mehr und Mehr Licht), solo exhibition, Zukunftslabor Gallery, Stuttgart, GER
- 2017 - From Dusk till Dawn, group show with Polaroid Polyptych, Berlin, Germany
- 2017 - Luck (Glück), collective exhibition as part of the Herbstrundgang 2017, Baumwollspinnerei Leipzig, Germany
- 2017 - Trigger, group show with Paperballs, Stuttgart, Germany
- 2017 - Point of View (Sichtweise), collective exhibition with CCC, HdW Stuttgart, Germany
- 2017 - Raw, collective exhibition with Untouched Earth, Düsseldorfer Fotoweekend, Germany
- 2016 - Paranoia, group show at the BFF-Bilderabend, with Paranoia Toys, Stuttgart, Germany
- 2016 - Kois, group show, Photokina Cologne, Germany
- 2015 - Flight, collective exhibition with Flight, Stuttgart, Berlin and Düsseldorf, Germany
- 2015 - Personal Work, collective exhibition as part of the BFF-Bilderabend at the Haus der Wirtschaft Stuttgart, Germany
- 2015 - Personal Work, collective exhibition with Surfrider, Kunstbezirk Gallery, Stuttgart, Germany
- 2014 - Gegenlicht21, group show with Pink Umbrella, Theaterhaus Stuttgart, Germany
- 2014 - Changing Realities, group show with Surfrider, GfHF, Berlin, Germany
- 2012 - L'Art dans la region (Kunst in der Region), collective exhibition with More and More Light, Kunstverein Kirchheim Teck, Germany
- 2011 - Gegenlicht21, collective exhibition with Pink Umbrella, Württembergischer Kunstverein Stuttgart, Germany
- 2011 - Gegenlicht21, collective exhibition with Pink Umbrella, Stuttgart, Ludwigsburg, Herrenberg, Tübingen, Konstanz, Germany
- 2011 - Mémoire de l’Avenir, collective exhibition with Pink Umbrella, City of Arts, Paris, France