Painter and engraver, Daniel Gautier was born in Longueuil. Before venturing towards various studios in Europe, Gautier followed private painting lessons in Montreal.
Being fascinated by the sea, in the 1970' s, his travels led him to the Magdalein Islands. He established himself there in 1993. He then lived in Hudson by Le Lac des Deux Montagnes, but was still drawn to the Maritimes six months of the year.
At first, Gautier' s paintings were surrealistic and a lot were in reference to the sea. With time, the sea hasbecome the essential element in his paintings.
There is no doubt that Gautier is a painter of the sea. Year after year, his journeys to the Maritimes have become the ritual that nourishes all of his production.
Gautier has held many individual expositions as well as participated in numerous group expositions.
- Ministry of Indian Affairs, Canada
- Ministry of Natural Ressources, Canada
- France Consulate, Montreal, Québec
- National Assembly of Québec
- Acadien Museum of Québec
- Gordon Marketing Fair, California, USA
- CAUCUS, Québec, Québec and numerous private collections